Pages

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Bitten by the book bug

In 4 weeks, I read 3 books. I'm a believer by Jessica Adams, Spellbound and Mr Maybe, both by Jane Green. I have a penchant for chick-lit novels, they are very entertaining, makes me laugh. I used to read thrillers and stuff but after Sidney Sheldon – which I’ve read every single book he wrote before I got my ‘O’s – I decided that now, I need something for a change, I need something girlish and relaxing.

Came across “I'm a believer” at MPH and decided to borrow from the library (I don’t usually buy my books, unless its $6 a piece). Oh man, I had a hard time finishing it! Remember I mentioned I read 3 books in 4 weeks? I spent a wasted 3 weeks on this book alone! The storyline was interesting, but the flow of writing was pretty rough, not captivating enough. In fact, I will yawn once every 3 pages. But I happen to be the kind of person who MUST finish a book once I’ve read past the acknowledgements. Darn the principles, and I’m stuck with a boring book while the 7 others waited in one dark corner, till they are almost overdue and I had no choice but to return them.

As for Jane Green, she’s a goddess. She’s so funny that sometimes, I felt so stupid laughing alone, with nobody else beside me, and holding just a book. “Mr Maybe” is so darn close to reality and super funny; I finished it in 3 days straight.

Yesterday, I went on a book-borrowing frenzy. Well, Jane Green doesn’t write that many books to keep me entertained for long right? So I go against my usual “practice” and decided to scour for some nice books. I took every book that has a girlish cover, and with small printed fonts that says "best-selling”. Well, if it’s not best-selling means it’s not “discovered” yet or it’s total crap, and thus shall be ignored.

I went home happily with 5 books, on top of the other 2 I borrowed last week. Thanks to National Library’s “Drop everything and read” campaign, I can borrow up to 8 books, till January 2006. Happy!

No comments: