Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2005

My day “off”

Wednesdays have unofficially become my “off” days, when I will leave Tara in the care of Bob or my ILs (when they are around), and find a nice place to catch up on some reading or maybe some lone shopping.

I spent my first off-day last Wednesday, reading at West Coast Park’s McCafe. I almost cracked my skull trying to think of a place that has large cushy sofas, nice ambience for reading and not thousands of miles away from home. Places I thought of are either too far, too noisy, too crowded or parking charges are crazy.

Yesterday was my second day off of the month, I finally thought of the perfect place, Book Café, at a quiet corner of Mohd Sultan and Martin Road. I’ve been there a few times, with ex-colleagues or friends, and I quite like the place. But as of yesterday, I fell in love totally.

It’s the perfect place for reading! The big cushy sofas are so comfy. The décor are so homey. They have 3 separate areas, outdoor dining, indoor dining and rest-and-relax-on-the-sofa area. Every time I was there, I will be at the outdoor dining area, and yesterday for the first time, I took the sofa seats. Oh man, it’s so comfy I almost fell asleep!

It’s so easy to find parking too, which is another bonus. I put up 2.5 hours of parking coupons and spent 3 hours of therapeutic reading in the café. I love every moment of it! They even have shelves of books and magazines, and even a Mac for free net surfing! The only down point was the music, which I thought was a bit too loud, but maybe it’s my own fault for sitting right beside the bloody speaker. Make it another one, the food is expensive! A plain Caesar salad cost me almost $11 and a double latte at almost $6. Gawd!

All the sofas are 3 seaters, with a few easy chairs surrounding a table. I felt pretty bad occupying such a big area, since I’m alone. I was hoping no one would come over and tell me they need the seats. I’m pretty lucky, only 1 couple eyed my sofa, but they decided to take the indoor dining instead, and the rest of the diners are happy with the outdoor dining.

Like I’ve mentioned, it’s a therapeutic 3 hour reading. I left the café feeling rejuvenated, recharged and very happy. Not sure if anyone noticed a crazy woman smiling to herself along Mohd Sultan yesterday. In fact, I was in such a good mood, I give way to every single faster-driving car on the highway, usually I will just speed up and refuse to get off the lane, haha! I’m sure I will be there next Wednesday too. Ahh.. I can’t wait.

No comments: