Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Sushi Class & Black Pig Dinner

I attended a sushi class last night with my colleague and her friend. They actually intended to join some baking class but in the end, joined me in the sushi class instead.

The class was held in the Civil Service Club at Tessensohn Road. I had thought that I will be going to a hands-on class and was surprised to step into a classroom style setting. There was only a table top for the chef to do his teaching. And the next surprising thing, there were almost 30 of us in the class. And there is this big mirror hanging on the wall and tilted in an angle which enable us to see the countertop, 2 smallers ones by the side which let us see the stove.

See the panel of mirror above the chef?
The chef was a plump guy, who apparently has loads of experience cooking for the prestigous people on private yachts. Not just Japanese cuisine, he was also good in Italian, American, Epicurean cuisines as well. I think he's quite a good instructor, clear with his instructions , and he actually managed to inject some mild humor in his teaching so at least, it's not boring.
We were taught to make 3 types of sushi. The traditional Futomaki, and 2 others which I can't remember the name. All 3 types of sushi seems pretty easy to cook and tasted delicious. Oh yah, we have the chance to taste the sushi. And the chef even did a couple display ones for us to take pictures. And since I'm always armed with a camera, I thought I should take the chance to use it.
The traditional futomaki roll.

The non traditional deep fried sushi roll, topped with avocado
and crab meat. This is yummy!
And the last one is seared tuna. And this is absolutely divine.
The one thing I like about this class is the chef did not teach us some boring sushi pieces. It's my first time attending a culinary class and I totally loved it. The chef also hold classes for other cuisines, and my next target is the steaks & chops class, in which he will teach how to cook pumpkin soup, gratinated potatoes and sirloin steak with 2 toppings.
I might just get hooked on this culinary class thingy.
And on the black pig.
I had my first taste of black pig when I was in Korea for my honeymoon. And it's one experience I can't forget. Prior to that, beef is on top of my list of the tastiest meat until I tried the black pig meat. Even yummy cannot describe how good the meat is. Since then, I've been yearning for the chance to eat it again.

So when my colleague told me there is this Japanese restaurant in Central that has black pig meat on their menu, I literally went hysterical with happiness. We had our dinner there yesterday, before we went for the sushi class, and I ordered this:
I had wanted to order a Sukiyaki pot but I was so tempted to try this deep fried one. I even top up 5 buck for a top grade meat. My verdict, the meat was very soft and tasty but because it's deep fried, I felt kind of yucky after eating 3/4 of the cutlet. My colleague's friend ordered the Sukiyaki pot. I tasted a little and was totally regreting my choice of dish. And the miso soup they served is full of ingredients and was absolutely delicious!
For lunch, they do have this special offer of $18.80+++ per set of a different menu that is not available in the dinner menu. And I've already made arrangement with my colleague to have our lunch there sometime soon. This is a must try restaurant.

No comments: