Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Chickenpox Spreading Islandwide

I spoke to the admistrator minutes ago, and informed her that Tara was diagnosed with chickenpox. She told me 3 other children were infected too and the school did a screening this morning. They had to turn away quite a number of kids as they have shown symptoms of the infectious disease.

The administrator told me that they have checked on the Ministry of Health website, which reported that there is an increase of chickenpox cases islandwide. I tried checking the website but I couldn't see anything related. Or maybe I'm checking on the wrong website?

Anyway, for those of you out there who has yet to vaccinate your child against chickenpox, you better do it soon. But even if your child is vaccinated, there will be chances that he/she will still get some mild symptoms. However, it will not be as bad as those who are not vaccinated.

And those who are pregnant, avoid crowded places. The disease has an incubation period of about 10 - 14 21 days before symptom starts to show, so you won't know you are infected till it's too late. For the sake of your baby, try not to go out too much.

I asked the administrator if they will be closing the school, she told me they are monitoring on this and will keep me updated.

Poor Tara, I saw quite a number of new red spots on her this morning. She's starting to get cranky too. I guess she must be feeling really uncomfortable.

No comments: