Pages

Friday, May 26, 2006

Taiwan Trip - Day 1 & 2

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lots of photos! I didn't have time to do them up nicely though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 1
On our way to our first destination, the tour guide stopped the bus by the side of the road, and got a 檳榔西施 (Betel nut lady) to distribute the 檳榔 (betel nut) to us one by one. Unlike those we seen on those circulated emails, this betel nut lady wasn't as scantily dressed as we expected, we only managed to see her butt cheeks when she bend down, but it was an experience nonetheless. The first and last time I'm gonna put a betel nut into my mouth too, it was so yucky! *pui*



九份 (Jiu Fen)
The place of origin for muah chee, I heard.




From top left: Fish & meat ball soup, Herbal beef soup, Red bean & tapioca ice dessert, Soy bean curd ice dessert, Ice-cream in popiah, 卤肉饭



This must be my favourite food from 九份 (is it the right spelling?), barbeque cuttlefish! Yummy.

We left after buying boxes of muah chee, fruit pudding and other 土产 (local food).

西门町 (XiMenDing)
Had our dinner at those typical Chinese restaurants catering for tour group. After dinner, we shopped around the area and I managed to buy 4 pairs of shoes!! Nice eh? About $19.70 per pair. Not cheap, but there's nothing much to buy so to "balance" myself, I had to get something right? Besides, the shoes were so pretty! Hard to resist.



Didn't get to try the food there though, cos we were all too full after the restaurant dinner. Anyway, our hotel was just a few mins walking distance away. In fact, we shopped at Xi Men Ding every night!

Day 2
A group tour today.

中正纪念堂 (Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall)
We only had 15 mins here, and the tour guide dropped us at the main entrance and told us don't bother going into the hall as we are short of time and there's only a copper statue of Chiang Kai-shek there. Remember I mentioned that Cheryl and I did silly touristy things? The two of us dashed all the way to the hall, which is most probably 200m away, climbed up the flights of stairs, took a photo with the statue and dashed back to the bus again. And I'm wearing a 2 inch heels, don't ask me why. I was panting and my legs were aching by the time I got on the bus. But at least I've been inside the hall. Hmmz.. Typical tourist.



Some Memorial Hall
I don't exactly know where is the 2nd stop we went. I only remember we were there to watch the changing guards parade. Poor guards, they have to stand under the sweltering heat wearing shiny metal helmets, thick uniforms and not allowed to move even if there's a fly on their nose. I heard some time ago, they weren't even allowed to blink their eyes! Pure torture, man.



淡水
One of my favourite location, cos it's food, food and food!!






From top left: Mixed deep fried mushroom, 地瓜, 猪血糕, grilled muah chee, 阿给 beancurd with vermicelli, 肉圆, grilled sotong, Deep fried golden mushroom, cheese pork chop.

士林夜市
Another food paradise! But we were all too full from our 淡水 trip and so we decided to shop at the market area first. There's nothing much there. But I did managed to get 2 bikini sets, and a frilly top for Tara.

We still managed to try some of the famous food there.




From left: 蠔仔面线 (Oyster mee suah), Papaya milk, Grilled sausage, XXL Chicken chop, Strawberry Ice.

Foot Massage
The best massage I've ever had. So shiok! Cost S$30. Not cheap but it's really, really good!


Soaking my feet in ginger bath. Pure pleasure..

No comments: