Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Bad Customer Service

Yesterday, I went to Standard Chartered at Anchorpoint at about 2pm to cash my cheque. It’s not really crowded when I reach and I’m the fourth in queue. I reckoned it won’t take longer than 15 mins since there are only 3 blokes before me.

Boy, am I totally wrong! There were 3 counters, 1 is for priority banking, and that leaves 2 other counters. Both service staff took their own sweet time to do the transactions. Okay, to be fair, maybe those transactions really require precise care and attention. The queue started to get longer at this stage. To our (not only mine) surprise, one of the counter staff (let’s call him “the guy”) put up a “queue close” sign. He closed the counter!? When there are so many of us in the queue? I’m not sure what required his immediate attention but he stood there and did some paperwork stuff, trying to look really busy. Another 10 - 15 mins, there are only 2 blokes in front of me now and the queue starting to get impatient. Shuffling of feet, deep sighs, “tsk tsk”, “wah lau” can be heard in the queue. And the best part is, the only counter staff was happily chatting to one bloke while at least 15 of us waited.

We kept looking at the guy, wondering if he will open the counter, but he just continued doing his paperwork, nonchalant of the tension building up in the queue. Finally, there’s only 1 bloke before me and the gal (the only other counter staff) after doing the last transaction, stood up and left her counter! We were not only surprised, we were totally pissed! And one uncle said “One left for the toilet, and the other doing stupid things!” One lady in the queue walked up to the guy and told him to open his counter, as there was a long queue already. The guy said “Okay, opening soon, sorry.” That was it?????

A little hell broke loose. The lady walked back to the queue and said: “These paperwork can do after 3 mah! So many of us queuing!” and the uncle said: “Standard Chartered! Since 1960s.. but…”, “I think they want to go home on the dot loh, that’s why they do their paperwork now”.. blah.. blah.. blah.. I kind of felt embarrassment for the guy, even though I’m quite angry with him too.

If the guy really thought the paperwork required immediate attention, he should not have done it at the counter. No doubt he tried to look real busy, it served nothing but infuriated the people even more. And the gal, aware that the queue was so long, left her work desk! If she really needs to leave, at least tell the guy to open his counter!! Waiting for so long to be served was bad enough, but now there was no one to serve us!! I kind of wondered why the management staff didn’t do something about it. When I left, I saw one lady walked out of the office, asking if anyone wanted to cash their cheques, trying to appease the crowd or something. They took 30 minutes to take action. Really bad!

I came back and told my colleagues and one of them told me Standard Chartered has the worst customer service! Yup, totally agree. It’s time they do something about it.

No comments: