Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Wrong Jab?!

Last Sunday morning, we brought Tara to Kelly's for her jab, which was due since CNY. We haven't been able to bring her there earlier cos there's the CNY, the travels and stuff.

When we finally decided to bring her, we found out that Kelly was on leave when we stepped into his clinic. We decided to go ahead with the jab, cos it's only a jab right?

We went in the room and saw a young doctor on duty. I gave her Tara's health booklet and said she's due for her 6-in-1 jab. He looked at the booklet, took out the vaccine, and went on to jab her. It's the 1st time Tara cried so loud! Think even jab needs skill yah?

While waiting for payment, the clinic assistant, who knew us quite well, told us that Tara should be getting her MMR vaccination and not the 6-in-1, and asked me the doctor didn't check with me? I told her I never keep track on which jab she's due to take as I'm always reliant on Kelly to tell me. Kelly, who's a friend of ours, will usually tell me when to bring her for a jab, and I don't pay attention to which jab she's due, cos I trust Kelly to know. But I didn't expect the young doctor to miss this point cos I showed him the health booklet right? As a doctor, he should know which jab to give.

Then again, I did tell the assistant that I told him Tara's due for the 6-in-1, that's probably why he gave her that. Bob was pissed that the young doctor did not give us the right advice. But I told him it might be my fault too, cos me, the mother of the kid, don't even know which jab is due!

We frantically asked the assistant will there be any problems with the wrong jab. To our relieve, she said Tara will be fine, just that it's too early to take the 6-in-1 jab (due 18 months and Tara is only 16). We will need to bring her back for her MMR jab after one month.

This time round, I will make sure I pay attention to details like this. I wouldn't want to put my little girl in any dangerous situations. I felt so bad. Bad mummy.

No comments: